Friday, September 26, 2014

Brett's Birthday Party

In between closing on the house and moving in, we had Brett's 1st Birthday party. We decided to do it at our new house in the backyard since there was a lot of room and our current house was in disarray from all the packing. It was a pretty simple party. This was the extent of the decorations.

The cake was pretty pitiful. I knew that I would have much time to decorate a cake with everything else that was going on, so I tried to take some shortcuts. My downfall was buying pre-made colored frosting. It was not good. The orange stuff was extremely thin. So thin that it wouldn't stay on the cake, but I didn't have time to do anything else. I tried to thicken it up with some powdered sugar, but it didn't work. So there were lots of brown cake spots poking out all over. The blue was better, but still not great. When I was almost done, I realized I needed some white frosting for the eyes. The only thing I could find was a packaged of pre-made Rice Krispie treats. It was pretty pitiful.

 The party was pretty low-key. It basically consisted of our family, my sister's family, my parents, my grandma, and Charlie's dad.

I had bought a few present for Sam to look through and pick one to give to Brett. As he was looking through them, he asked if he got to keep the ones he didn't give to Brett :) I told him no, so he did the next logical thing: He picked the toy he wanted the most and gave it to Brett so that he would have a better chance of playing with it later :)


We had to coax Sam to eat his cake on his first birthday. This was not the case with Brett. He dove right in.


 My dad was afraid that Brett was going to choke with the amount of cake he was trying to consume, so he kept making sure he had some water to wash it down with.

See? Sam took the Pikachu.

 Brett didn't seem to mind. He was having more fun playing with the boxes.

 Charlie gave him some pop. The look on his face seems like it may be the beginnings of a sugar coma.

I think he had a pretty good day :)

No comments: