Thursday, October 7, 2010

Charlie's Research

Sorry about the picture #1: Sam was helping me take pictures. #2: My camera doesn't have a flash. #3: My camera is just a bad camera and won't take a clear picture.

Over the summer, Charlie has been working with the McNair Scholar's program to do research. He's been researching people's opinions on Recidivism. He worked hard all summer to gather data, the worked even harder to interpret that data to mean something. We were gone most of the summer trying to get people to take his survey. Once all that was done, it was time to present his research at academic conferences. First, he went to New Orleans. Overall, I think he enjoyed his trip, aside from getting beer thrown on him, stepping in throw up, and getting flashed. We had quite and experience trying to get him to New Orleans. We left Laramie later than we wanted to because Charlie was in need of a haircut and I didn't want to cut it for fear of another accident like happened to Sam a while back. I definitely didn't want him going to his conference bald. So we waited around to get him a haircut before we left. We still had plenty of time to get him to the airport though. Charlie needed some better clothes, so we stopped in Fort Collins to get him some new clothes. We were pretty fast about it and still had plenty of time to get to the airport. Then as we got closer to Denver, the Garmin started taking us to more and more random places. It would take us down a road a couple miles, then tell us to make a u-turn. When it was all said and done, we finally arrived at the airport with about half an hour before his plane took off. We got everything unloaded, and he started making his way to his plane while I took off for home. About 10 minutes down the road, Charlie called and told me I had to come back. Apparently, there wasn't enough time to check in his bag and he needed me to come get it. I hurried back as fast as I could (I don't like driving in big cities by the way) and finally got back to the airport. We stuffed as much as we could into his carry-on, then he took off sprinting for his plane. I waited at a gas station a few miles down the road to make sure that he had a ride back if he missed his flight. He called me when he was on the plane. He said he had about a minute to spare, and then he would have missed his flight. He could hear his name being called on the intercom for last call. He was yelling "I'm Charlie Cordova! I'm coming!" It's a good thing that he made the flight, because that was the last flight to New Orleans for the night, and he was supposed to be presenting his research the next morning. Luckily, everything went well. And I printed off directions to the airport when I went back to get him. Stupid Garmin.
His trip to Claremont was much less eventful. Since there were a lot more people going to this conference from UW, they took a bus to the airport (no driving for me!) I can't think of a lot that went on at that conference, so I'll end this post since it's getting pretty long anyway.
Congratulations to Charlie for all his hard work! I'm so proud of you!

No comments: