Saturday, September 12, 2009

Maybe I should stick to Ebay

Wednesday night, the University of Wyoming Police had an auction of their lost and found. There were tons of bikes, so we decided to head over and see if we could get some good ones. My bike cost $2.50, and Charlie's cost $50. These were really great deals, because there were some bikes that were going for upwards of $300. Charlie had a strategy. He stayed until most of the other people left, and then started bidding on bikes. The only thing wrong with mine was the front brake didn't work, but after fiddling with it for a while, I was able to fix that. But bikes weren't all we got.
By the time we got to the auction, it was already about 8:00, so it was getting close to Sam's bedtime. Charlie kept him entertained with a wheelchair. Sam loved just sitting in it and rolling around in it. At one point, some other people wanted to look at it, so Charlie took Sam out of it and set him on the ground. Sam started pointing at it and saying, "That, that!" He wanted his wheelchair. So when the bidding for the wheelchair came around, Charlie bid on it. He got it for $5. I was surprised when I heard the auctioneer say my number. I had no idea Charlie was bidding. I was busy taking care of our previous win:


Yeah, I bought all these shoes for $2. They auctioned all the shoes off at one time. I figured there was at least $2 worth of good shoes in there, so I thought, "Why not?" It actually turned out to be a really good buy. Right after I won them, people started coming up to me and asking if they could buy just one pair of shoes from me. So I sold them for 50 cents a pair. I ended up making $9, which is a fairly good profit if I do say so myself. There were still plenty of shoes for me and Charlie, with TONS left over. So if anyone needs shoes, just let me know. I'll let you have them.

Sam had his 15-month doctor appointment this week. It turns out that he has 5 teeth coming in, 4 of which are molars. You can imagine the crabbiness in this house from that. He's been crabby one minute, clingy the next, and all sorts of emotions. I guess I can look at the bright side: the more teeth that come in now, the less I have to deal with later. If they came in one at a time, I'd have to go through this 28 times!

Charlie decided he's not fishing enough, so on Labor Day, we went out to Lake Hattie for fishing. Our first attempts at finding a good fishing spot didn't go so well. There were a lot of people on the lake, boating, waterskiing, and wind surfing, not good for fishing. We went to the opposite side of the lake, which Charlie though was very fun since we had to drive through muddy roads, so he had to use the 4-wheel drive. This place wasn't very good because it was too shallow. So we drove back around to the front of the lake and tried fishing in a more secluded area. Still no luck. The map I had showed that there was a smaller lake attached to Lake Hattie, so we decided to try down the road less traveled, which meant more 4-wheel drive. Somehow, through all the bumps and dips, Sam found time to take a nap. We weren't entirely sure that we were supposed to be fishing where we were, but we didn't pass any "no trespassing" signs, so we figured we were OK. We still didn't have much luck catching any fish, but at least where we were, you could see the fish. They were jumping out of the water right in front of us! Sam had fun too. He loved playing in the water, even though it was freezing.

I had fun playing in the water too.

Isn't he cute?

Sam and his dad

Charlie watching the fish jump right in front of him.

Asking for more fruit snacks. Sure he says it a little different that it should be, but at least I know what he's saying.

He found a big stick along the way.

3 comments:

Cass said...

How fun! Sam is getting so big and cute! Well, he was always cute, but toddlers are just cute in a different way from babies...He's not a baby anymore. Do you use any specific program to teach him sign or just on your own?

Jon and Karen Egeland said...

What a cute little boy...Count your blessings that he's getting his teeth now...when they start teething again at 2 1/2 years old...it doesn't hold a candle to them teething when they are younger.

Ranee` said...

Jax and Sam say more the exact same way, how crazy is that!